SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Arvon IV

Saturday 17 September, 2005.
01:30am.

Day 5 (or 6)

Remainder of Thursday was good - nailed characters and structure of what I was after (a play for 5 actors called 'Fall-out from the Hot Banana'). Got to bed last night at 1am after finishing the structure for the piece. Had managed to talk to both Emma and Alex at 6pm - both well it seemed. Evening session was very good - a quick trawl through the commissioning process - insider BBC information was useful there.

Today (Fri): saw one of the tutors - she was impressed by the synopsis and characters notes I'd written for 'Fall-out...'. Was asked to read parts for seven other people in this afternoon and evening's readings. I took the roles of a young traveller, two homeless men, a dead teenager (in flashback), a holiday-maker (discovering a dead body - as y' do), a student, a squash player, a DJ, and a talking microwave oven. Indeed. Was good fun. I'd written some dialogue for Fall-out this morning - got a bloke (mid-40s) and a woman (mid-50s) to read the main parts for me. Was told that I 'write really well as a man writing for women - which is rare' and that the dialogue was 'excellent' and that 'it all rang true'. Unrelated to writing (I think), I was told by a 71 year old woman from Shropshire that I spoke 'with the gravitas of a much older man'. I'm taking this to mean that I've had a good week. Would have liked to know more about some of the participants, then again, maybe it's more interesting not knowing their full life stories (that's not meant to sound harsh). Anyway, to adapt a Frank Sinatra line...

It was a very good week.