SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Ass

Last week I went for an interview in York. It was for a research job. I didn’t get it. At first I was a bit peeved about this but then thought ‘Ah well, heigh ho, some you win and some you lose due to a very foolish statement that you make at the very beginning of the interview’:

Chair of interview panel: Blah blah do feel free to ask any questions as we go blah blah blah so anyway, blah blah blah
Shane: Ah, interesting question blah blah blah blah blah (looks interested, thinks ‘Gosh I really fancy the person who is sat next to the chair of the panel’)
[Repeat 3 times]
Shane: Actually, can I just ask a question?
Chair: Sure
Shane: How is the organization structured in terms of research groupings or units? I’m thinking that with this being a growing organization, staff numbers increasing and you all researching similar subject matter, how are the likely cross-overs in researchers’ projects and expertise managed – what form of line management occurs?
Chair: Well, there are aspirations and there are realities ('Great – a straight-talker' thinks I) blah blah blah blah to what extent that becomes a reality remains to be seen blah blah blah ('Right, sounds a bit… ‘ambitious’' thinks I)
Shane: Right, sounds a bit... ‘ambitious’
(All of panel except Chair look shocked)
(‘Fuck’ thinks I)
(Interview continues and passes without further shocks to the panel)
(Few days later an effusively complimentary ‘Fuck off’ letter arrives)

Dear reader, fear not for Shane, there are other more likely avenues of change being pursued. My point - the idea of my possibly moving up north had been greeted with a reaction of ‘Eeeek’ and then some practical support by Emma – most appreciated that was too. Applying for the job was in part a reflection of my feeling like I was in a work-based rut, the like of which I’ve not experienced for a long time. Any relocation would have probably meant a reduction in the amount of time we spent together and as I noted KT Tunstall saying recently 'This song goes out to all of you who have ever been involved in a long distance relationship... what were you thinking!' Truth be told, it was a price that I was willing to pay. Unto himself, rutsome Shane is not an attractive bunny.

Talking this situ over with a couple of academic-types (supervisors and former colleagues) yesterday, I heard mention of many others who had habitually lived separately (by great distance) from their partners. At this I found myself tending to think 'Yes - but most of those who you mention I had previously assumed to be closet homosexuals - like for like(ish) comparisons please'. As it is, I don't expect there to be any great leap into the deep dark far-off unknown of... well, North Yorkshire or anywhere really. So the Midlands it is - could be worse, could be Cumbernauld.

*****
I love learning that in terms of the use of hair wax you just need to use a tiny amount - not a great big dollop like what I used for my interview in York. D'ohhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn my lack of haircraft knowledge, damn it!

Oh, and one more thing, would it be wrong to start painting phone boxes pink... like this one?