SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Arvon II

Tues 13th September, 2005.
11:59pm.

Day 2

A big first full day. Had been given a writing exercise yesterday evening for sharing with the group at 11:30 this morning. That session was forgiveably 'fluid' (ie badly time-managed). Seven out of the 14 shared their pieces (3 characters, 3 short scenes, based on 'There's been a death'). I wasn't intimidated by anyone's writing, but some of their ease/comfort in 'acting' made me wince. Later discovered that most readers/actors had been shatting themselves. Reassured. Team-cooking was interesting - I started peripherally (chief onion and cabbage chopper-and-fryer) but moved to centre ground as I realised that my fellow chefs couldn't co-ordinate cooking timings. Dinner was good. Glad to have got the cooking out of the way. No one poisoned. After dinner we returned to reading our pieces. I went first. Feedback was useful - critical in the most useful sense. Was glad that subtext/subtlety had been spotted (by a woman from the USA and a woman (70ish*) - 'I'm Maggie when I'm writing, Mags when I'm painting' - from Leeds). Can already identify my writing 'style', especially clear in comparison to capable others. Chat with tutor this afternoon was useful. Was interesting that in terms of critiquing a short radio piece I'd written recently, she made points that echoed problems that I've felt with my academic writing. She was good when I started firing questions at her. She mentioned a couple of names who would most likely be the best targets for 45 minute radio plays. All in good time.

Was good to hear of Alex's first day at school. I hear that it was a shared knowledge of Power Rangers that was bringing kids together. Sweet. Power down...

(* Later found to be 74)