SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Arvon I

Tuesday 13th September, 2005.
12:10am.

Day 1

I'm in bed. Drove down to The John Osbourne Arvon Centre ('Hurst Mill Farm') in Clun, Shropshire, this afternoon... fresh from a PhD supervision meeting and Crazy Golf at the Leisure Park. Alex (4) croqueted his way round the course, Emma was on good form. I would have liked to have been around for Alex's first day at school tomorrow (9 hours and 20 minutes from now). Hopefully school will prove to be a rich highly tappable social scene for him. Could take the pressure to stimulate off la famille. Anyway, Arvon...

First three people that I saw when I got here were:-

1. Female, mid-60s*, middle-class clothing/style - seemed 'quiet'/shy/scared of me. Pleasantries exchanged.
2. Female, mid-50s, driving posh car, seemed ditsy/airheaded. Introduced self and enquired as to she.
3. Female, 30ish, soon established that she was cover for one of the centre directors. Introduced self and enquired as to she.

(* Later found to be 71)

Then! I saw a man at a distance of about 20 metres, and I almost blurted out (based on my spying his hair-do) 'Fuck - he's got writer hair!' So glad that I didn't make such a gaff. But the hair was thespish.

First whole group gathering was conveniently soon after I landed - basic house-keeping stuff, just prior to this I spoke to writer hair man - bit spooked by his having been an Arvonist of many years, though it seemed uncouth that he laboured to make the point that he'd been on a tutorless 'Writers' Retreat' with Arvon - emphasising his being a writer. Was reminded of Patrick Marber's use of the label 'writer' as a pejorative in the play Closer. I understood.

The people here all seem decent. Have already identified four or five of the group of 14 tutees (11 female, 3 male) who I'm most interested in. Have broken the ice with all but one so far. Tutors have already started laying on the 'insider knowledge' - am picking up stuff at the business end of things.

As advised by Marie, I'm wisely getting my 'team cooking' duty out of the way as soon as possible - tomorrow. Will be cooking with:-

1. Female, Shetland Islander, approx 45.
2. Female, Worcs, approx 50-55.
3. Female, Shropshire, approx 60-65.

Oh! And there's no mobile phone reception and no internet! Shropshire cold turkey what!

It has begun.