SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Monday, August 08, 2005

London

Landed at Euston 4:30pm on Friday. By 6:30pm Friday I’d decided that this was not going to be a trip that spiked my interest in living in London. Travelling through the rush hour down to Streatham was enough to tell me this. That said, the seeing of old pals and generality of the weekend was good.

Nancy chum talked of speed-dating. This enthused me. In order to work out what kind of chap she’d be interested in we turned to the Time Out’s personal ads section whereupon I read the ads and she marked (out of 10) her interest in the individual. Following ten random ‘males seeking females’ ads, scores ranged from 2 up to 7. Fairly poor I’d say. So, I quietly threw in a curveball… I read out an ad from the males seeking males section… an instant hit – 8 out of 10! Thus, I pointed out that Nancy would be better off becoming a gay man. At this, she cast me a dirty look – as in unimpressed dirty rather than... er other dirty, yeah anyway…

The theatre trip on Saturday afternoon was excellent. The venue (Kings Head pub, Islington) was fantastic. Capacity looked to be just under 100, was a sell-out. The play was a script, directorial, casting and acting success. Which I guess means a production success. It was especially good to see Sara Crowe (the blond one) evidencing greater range than she would be popularly associated with (having been the face of an 80s/90s ‘soft spread’ product). It was also interesting to just discover this review saying very much the same thing.

Other than that, I bought a gorgeous brown suit (very mature Nick Cave) that I’ve now discovered I can’t afford (very stupid of me) (note to self: do not spend monies that are ‘due’ to go into the account). On Saturday evening we ate at Wagamama in Soho – very good it was too. Here, we met Ken – for the handover of Shane.

Trogged up to Holloway with dearest Ken following a quick scout about Leicester Square. Ken and I discussed matters much more profound than the merits and demerits of speed-dating, we discussed… thongs! We agreed that they are quite chavvish and we concurred with the view that a 20% dip in thong sales should be attributed to this association. Sociological factum: nice middle class girls wear nice big pants.

Reminded of Huw’s review of his walk up to Parliament Hill to check out the table and chair, that is where I deigned we should head on Sunday morning. Breakfast at a café below the hill, and great views atop made for a most contented self. Was good. We later mixed with the masses at The Holloway pub down on Holloway Road. An all very gritty end to my Londoning.

Met with Emma at Euston (she’d been spending the weekend with some hens – that’s farmyard fetishism for y’). There, we jumped on a Virgin. En route to the Midlands, whilst feeling fully relaxed from the weekend, Emma raised talk of the impacts of my likely working away in the coming months. This was a conversation that was at times heavy and awkward and was really the kind of conversation that we needed to be having. ‘Yuk’ and ‘so long’ relaxed weekend vibe.

*****
I love weekend breaks.