SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Friday, November 04, 2005

The Body - Part II: Blind

So, like I was saying, I'd been pondering where or how a sense of non-abusive shock (or edge) could be generated around the body. It occurred to me that Marie would find this an interesting topic of Monday evening conversation. So, I sat on the pondering, until later.

Monday was to be a day of working in the office, at home (an annex of the main house). I use the term 'main house' for exaggerated posh effect - this amuses me. Anyway, Marie, also working out of the office, reminded me:

Marie: You didn't forget that I've got those people coming this afternoon, did you?
Shane: (pause) Which people?
Marie: The Very Important People - about the project - confidentiality and all that? Remember? I did mention it.
Shane: Hold on - why is the office so clean and tidy?
Marie: There are some Very Important-
Shane: Are the Very Important People coming today?
Marie: Yes.
Shane: Aaargghhh yes. I almost forgot.

So, respecting confidentiality and all that, I took my stuff into the house (the main one) and settled into reading and making notes on the settee in the front room. An hour or so later, taking a sneaky peek from the kitchen window, I spotted that the Very Important People had arrived in an Impossibly Posh Car. I returned to the academic settee. Far too comfortable for comfort, I gauged my own potential to fall asleep - that wouldn't be productive. So, to wake myself up, I thought 'I know, I'll take a cool shower'. Then, stupidity reigning, I thought 'Oh sod that, I'm sure a warm bath would be much better'. So up the stairs I did trog, and a bath was had.

Later, I found Marie pottering over a smouldering grill-pan.

Shane: Ah. How's things?
Marie: Recently extinguished.
Shane: Mm, I see. And the Very Important People? They were ok? Nothing too intense?
Marie: (pause, at which Shane begins to feel a tad uncomfortable) Well, they were very sweet-
Shane: Good.
Marie: -considering.
Shane: Considering what?
Marie: Well, just as we sat down around the big table, Barbara (VIP#1) let out a mini... er-...
Shane: Fart?
Marie: No, not a fart - that wouldn't have been so bad.
Shane: Oh my god - she shit!
Marie: No, don't be ridiculous. She let out a mini... shriek.
Shane: Why?
Marie: Well, it would seem, dear Shane, that from the seat that is side-on to the office window - at the back-
Shane: Yee-eesss?
Marie: -upon glancing up and over her left shoulder-
Shane: (picturing it) Yee-eesss.
Marie: Barbara - and she was very good about this - said it didn't happen very often, well, er... she copped a load of you.
Shane: (confused pause, with rather a sinking feeling) Wha-?
Marie: You have to ensure that the slats of the blinds are fully closed. If they're not, from below outside, it's possible to see into the bathroom.
Shane: (pallid) What did she see?... Barbara - the Very Important Person.
Marie: We saw you towelling yourself down... and 'singing'?
Shane: (mortified) Oh god. Oh double-god - Erasure - Drama! - on repeat.
Marie: Mm, (enjoying this) how are you feeling right now?
Shane: A little pale.
Marie: You look it.

And there it was. An answer to how the body could be used to shock, without cause for reference to notions of abuse (including 'of the self' - I'm so very glad to say). I regret that Marie's Very Important Barbara and my slightly damp arse, back and full frontage had to combine to provide the context for this 'shock', but at least it gave Marie the opportunity to recount a similar blinding gaff made by Pete last summer. On that occasion, the innocent victims of exposure were next door's chickens. Well, you don't get snakes in these parts of the Midlands, so they were bound to be scared.

...just one psychological drama after another...