SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Judgement

At the time of writing this, our local Member of Parliament is sitting about 6 feet away from me here in the office. She seems like a nice lady. And she's just thrust a large plate of posh biscuits at me - and she's not even electioneering! What a woman.

*****
Had a good PhD supervision session on Monday. Felt like a viva voce examination. The questions came thick and fast. The answers came - which is good enough for me. At one sub-profound moment, whilst ranting about disingenuous authorship, I blurted "I mean! What the fuck!". The supervisors smiled, we then moved on to the next question.

*****
Here's a link to a BBC article giving a brief summary of who and what the Michael Jackson trial jury were. I imagine that for any person in their early 20s (as three of the twelve were), to find yourself sitting in official judgement of such an elder must seem a little odd. I just hope those kids have old heads on them young shoulders. I also wonder if being part of a news story at the centre of such a media frenzy would change these folks' experiences of day-to-day living, and their senses of who and what they are. Shamone. *Moon walks to the next point*

*****
How odd. Just saw the local MP again, this time at the vets' surgery - as in veterinary surgery rather than ex-military personnel's surgery. MP cooed at the chateau's two new kittens ('CharlieDimmock' - all one word, and 'Thud'). MP did not thrust posh biscuits at me. Thus, she has gone right down in my estimations.

*****
This week, starrily, your song lyric spliced personal motto is:-

Capricorn: You gotta wrap your fuzzy in a big red bow. [Scissor Sisters]
Aquarius: You can't hurry love, though you can avoid... [Phil Collins]
Pisces: I've got the brains you've got pet ducks. [Pet Shop Boys]
Leo: Whoo hoo. [Blur]
Virgo: Pretty girl beware of his implantable defibrillator. [Shirley Bassey]
Libra: Just beat it, but do mop up. [Michael Jackson]
Scorpio: You're a real dead ringer for Donald Trump. [Meatloaf]
Sagittarius: Woke up this mornin', got myself some toast. [Alabama 3]
Aries: Drove my chevy to Grimsby. [Don McLean]
Taurus: I've never been this far away from Holmfirth. [Kaiser Chiefs]
Gemini: Oh, you, look, so, beau-ti-ful, Bernard. [U2]
Cancer: Don't you forget about brie. [Simple Minds]

*****
Heading towards a white-knuckle weekend (starting early Friday). Work and family stuff in the far north.

I love chopped logs. *Wonders if there could be such a thing as an unchopped 'log'*