SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Communication

Spent a useful* and largely good weekend with Emma. Shortly before parting from her, a sour taste was left in my mouth (nothing to do with her though)...

The BBC carried the story of the Staffordshire South election candidate, Jo Harrison, having died following an unspecified illness. Note the remarks from Sir Patrick...

...Harrison polled in third when she contested the seat in the 2001 General Election, winning 4,891 votes. The MP elected then, Conservative Sir Patrick Cormack, gained a majority of 6,881 votes over the second place Labour candidate.

Sir Patrick paid tribute to Ms Harrison saying: "I am obviously extremely distressed at the death of my Liberal Democrat opponent, and very sorry indeed that I am not going to be in a position to return to Westminster on 11 May, but we will be doing everything possible to ensure we come back at the by-election." ['What a twat' thought I.]

Standing Labour candidate, Penny Barber, added: "It is a huge shock and a terrible shame. Our thoughts go out to her family and friends." ['That's more like it' thought I.]

*****
After passing my driving test at the age of 18 I was, for at least a few months, a far from convincing 'driver'. During these months I'd occasionally give Ma Wexford and Grandma Elspeth a lift to the local shops. Much clutching at dashboard and general screeching came forth from these passengers. Having seen me undertake a reverse manoeuvre upon departing from her home one day, Elspeth later remarked "You know Shane, you did well getting out of that small space and around the corner - I think you might be better at driving backwards". 'Hmmm, a tad impractical' thought I.

*****
* = For the first time since our getting together Emma and I have had a 'serious chat' borne of not entirely positive observations of one another. The present situ is such that we are working together and spending time together 'as a couple' (foul phrase), each on a part-time basis. There has been some tension around how and when we do 'work talk' and around how we do 'us'. Consideration of Alex (Emma's son) and Ed (Alex's father) does not inhibit how well we get on, though it does call for some planning ahead - not a problem. It is fair to say that Emma and I have opened a dialogue re 'communication issues'**. This has made me wonder about the amount of 'work' that I/we should expect to put into a relationship, and equally, how much it is reasonable to do so. Previously, I believe that I have exercised both extremes - 'too much' (a good recipe for ensuring the later need for legal services to help 'get rid') and 'too little' (dubious snap decision to end something in a no-going-back kind of way).***

Here at the chateau, our fridge bears the short magnetic-poetry phrase "work hard, don't learn". Exclamation mark.

** = I was recently asked if this is how I talk when I'm 'down the pub'. It is not.
*** = Previously, I proclaimed that Emma had found the Shane Wexford blog. About this, I am convinced that I was wrong. About this, I feel like a bit of a dick.

*****
I love you. Would it be wrong to wonder what that meant?