SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Ledge

Yesterday, Michele asked ‘What is one place or thing that you have seen that is worth much more than a thousand words; that only a picture can adequately describe?’ Well. This brought to mind the following recollection. However, I chose not to share it there and then as the commenter before me had made reference to some serious heart-rending image. The idea of that being followed by a Shane day-trip anecdote seemed inappropriate. Here is the answer that should have been:

Best view I ever saw was near to a place called South Lake, near Tannersville, Greene County, NY. It was 1999 and me and my pal - an Australian girl called Jeanette who I lost touch with, she went to live in Ontario after marrying a chap called Al – well, we’d been walking for the day and we were destined for a place called 'The Old Hotel Site' (or something like that - it sounded like it was from a Scooby-Doo show). Anyway, we're walking up this hill on this clear summer's day and we get the impression before we reach the summit that a big view is going to open up before us (we didn't know for sure - the country park map was scratchy, and we were ill-prepared). Anyway, oh my lord, what a view it was that opened up. We were looking down on the Hudson, could see several distant mountain ranges, into several counties, and 'I think' a few states. The conditions were perfect. Twas amazing. Most moving. And now I wish I was there again.

And after a quick internet search I can confirm that our location was definitely Newman's Ledge and the Catskill Mountain House Site. The actual Catskill Mountain House has long since gone. Looking at the second picture on the link - that's exactly where we were - brought a tear to the Shane eye. The left one. Always the left.

Do feel free to share any of your own favourites. But do take your shoes off at the door. I'll not have you trailing dog poo into my comments box again.

*****
Those of you with a keen UK eye will recognise the political message that is embedded within this posting, and will know what to do about it on May 5th. Say no more. 'Mum''s the word.

I love the evening sunshine.