SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

A-teamwork

Emma: (Clearly amused) You’ll never guess what Alex- (can’t complete sentence, laughing too much)
Shane: Alex did what?
(Tears fill the Emma eyes, she is laughing a lot)
Shane: Oh dear, I’m sensing cute but appalling
Emma: (Nods) He said- (no, try as she may the laughs continue to inhibit sense)
Shane: Ah well, er, my expectations are building, it’s your own time you’re wasting-
Emma: He told my Mum-
Shane: Oh God, what did he tell your Mum?
(A tear rolls from the Emma left cheek, she reaches for a piece of paper, makes a note, hands it over)
Shane: (Reading aloud) ‘Shane’s Mummy’s brother’… Shane’s Mummy’s brother?... Oh Jesus what? Shane’s Mummy’s brother!
(Hearing this again tickles the Emma yet more)
Shane: What did your Mum say?
Emma: She thought it was hilarious. So did my Dad and my sister.
Shane: But-
Emma: Oh-, they all know.
Shane: But how?
Emma: Just the amount of time we’ve been spending together, my Dad also said the other night that ‘every other sentence at the moment seems to be about Mr Shane’. Even Alex has been talking about you.
Shane: Oh. Have you told them for definite that we’re an item then?
Emma: I don’t think I need to. It just feels comfortable as it is. Besides, my Dad especially is still having to see Ed – he’s helping us sort out the legal stuff to do with the houses.
Shane: Oh right. Sounds good. I’m presuming that Ed is still unaware-
Emma: Officially unaware, though I think he might have guessed.
Shane: He’d be ok with that? With us?
Emma: To be honest I don’t think he’d care. He told me he’d given Lexi a swimming lesson the other day. [Lexi is spoken of as the best friend of Emma, we met briefly once when I drove her to the railway station]
Shane: A swimming lesson?
Emma: I know. That’s what I thought. Bit weird, but, well, he likes swimming, and she’d already talked with me about her staying in touch with him when I told her were splitting up.
Shane: Mm. How would you feel if they-?
Emma: I don't know really. It would just seem weird at first.
Shane: Mm.
Emma: Anyway, I have an invite for you.
Shane: Oh?
Emma: My Dad wants to know if you’d like to come to the football with Alex, him and me on Saturday.
Shane: Oh wow - not wishing to sound so interested in an uncool way of course. Which football would that be?
Emma: England.
Shane: England (many many many exclamation marks)
Emma: Oh not the proper England. These are youngsters - 17 year olds.
Shane: Ah. Right. I’m guessing that’ll be about fifty quid cheaper per ticket.
Emma: Probably. It’s only a fiver for the lot of us.
Shane: A fiver for four of us?
Emma: Yeah. But it’s in Stoke.
Shane: Stoke again?!
Emma: I promise that it’ll be better than your Dracula experience.
Shane: Dear, it couldn’t not be better than my Dracula experience. I would be glad to join you all for the football.
Emma: Good. He’ll take Alex, we’ll meet them there – quarter to one.
Shane: Oh?
Emma: My Dad said he’d look after Alex on Friday.
Shane: That’s the spirit!
Emma: (Amused)

Song for the day: Bring It On (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)

I love it when a plan comes together.