SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Talent

Began the day by hearing of Charles Chadwick – a man who, at the age of 72, is about to have his debut novel published. And it only took him 32 years to write it. At that rate, the trilogy compendium will be published to coincide with his 136th birthday. Warming stuff.

***
This evening, I’m playing host to Londonist PhD pal Nicola – a largely agreeable gal who is en route to a conference. I will encourage her to share in at least one of my sordid pleasures. If I’m feeling racy then maybe I’ll suggest we plump for a bit of both.

***
Last night, I watched the film Boys Don’t Cry for a second time. Had seen it in Bristol on its release in 2000. Again, I found the Brandon Teena character (or maybe it was Hilary Swank’s performance) to be moving throughout. When Emma passed the recording to me she’d said she thought it was a good film, though she couldn’t feel much for any of the characters. What inference do we draw from this? Shane the softer touch? Well, ordinarily perhaps. However, on this occasion, not without reason – in my reading of the portrayal of Brandon, suppression of the sexual identity crisis made sense of many of the character’s flaws. All of which reminds me of my dear auntie Jim.

***
Had the misfortune of hearing an interview with the Education Secretary of State this morning – Ruth Kelly. Aged 36, mother of four, and the most senior female in the government. And she sounds like a man with a permanently blocked nose – which makes for unpleasant listening. Much the same as Caroline Wyatt of the BBC. This worries me. It’s almost as if talent matters these days.

***
I love Hilary Swank. I expect we will marry in the spring of 2006.