SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Via a waterfall, and 'Punish'?

Got feedback from a recent chapter submission. Largely positives from the 3 supervisors - the now-departed supervisor remains on board as it's in her CV's interests to be so. Collectively, they seem finally to have sorted out how best to return feedback such that it seems ordered. 'Well done them'.

Haven't seen or spoken with Emma since Sunday's wonderful demonstration of how to ignore a house guest. I decided that as we're doing the FarNorth work trip from afternoon tomorrow that it would be more interesting to wait and get a full account on the journey north. As I'm driving us this time, I've also decided that I will show her the High Force waterfall in Teesdale - we'd be bypassing it anyway, and I can't imagine her not being impressed. As I'll be dropping the car at the Wexford family home en route to FarNorthCity, at least Brother Wexford (and probably Pa Wexford) will meet Emma - to be introduced as "a friend from work" - which in truth is all that she is at the moment. Brother Wexford will drop us at the local train station. How do I feel about the trip? I'm not going to plan anything on the social side of things - I'm guessing that a simple dining out, chatting and early nights formula will be had. In retrospect, my previous suggestion that this trip could mark a grand shift in 'relations' with Emma seems 'distant'. Hard to say what she's thinking at the moment, the Ed fall-out could shift things in 3 directions as I see it - (i) they officially split, (ii) they aim to patch things up and start from a clean slate, or (iii) they opt for a 'trial separation' or some other equally unclear fudging. We shall see.

On an entirely unrelated matter (he wrote), I have been asked to write a brief missive - short story, monologue, poem - anything 'creative', and only about 500 words - based on the word 'punish'. I have one month. My two initial thoughts towards related scenarios:-

- Man languishing in prison cell (bit obvious)
- Something to do with S&M (not to be mistaken for these people)

What to do, what to do?

Lunching. As you were.

(My sidebar has for some unasked for reason disappeared south, this is most perturbing, I'm trying to rectify this. As I said, as you were.)