SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

My father - the philosopher

Barton is wet. Nb/ For those who are new here, Barton is a place - not a person.

Had a visitor yesterday evening. PhDist Kay - from the far off city of Cosmopolitania - where people don't know each other's names. Was a more entertaining evening than I'd imagined it would be. Ended up at an olde worlde pub that I'd never been in - lots of gritty men, all aged 50+, and including - I later found out - the mayor. Was highly entertaining to listen to them mocking one another. Lots of fine dry wit, laced with unspeakable affection.

Kay floated a vague business or occasional money-making idea that seemed plausible - though for post-PhD times. The task will be to rid the idea of its vagueness.

Earlier today spoke with Emma about next week's work trip. She sounded a bit tense. I chose not to enquire. Jo - the woman who she shares an office with - said there was trouble on the home front - "but they're trying to sort things out". She then seemed to suppress a grin. She suspects my interest was more than casual. Not sure if it's in my interests to appear less obvious in such situations - is it socially acceptable to have an 'interest' in someone who's officially attached? F*** me, I'm sounding like Sex and the City. Not good. I need a cup of tea.

As my father, a man of rare profundity, used to say: "If you're feeling a little 'strained': have a break, have a quick crap". What a man.