SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Patience, and a twist!

Yesterday evening, in Barton, there were youths. They wore ‘bling’ and sportswear. Thus, I reported them to the police.

Patience

I was asked recently for any tips on being patient. This got me thinking - which I didn’t mind. Thus, I now unfold 3 tips (yes, just 3) on being patient. They are:-

1. Respect your own ability to think.
2. Take an interest in views and actions that you find objectionable – to understand, you must observe and listen. This has much in common with remaining patient.
3. Remember relationship mistakes: in my experience, hurting others can be the most powerful way of hurting yourself.

Nb/ I do not believe that patience is always a good thing. And on that supremely upbeat note, let me turn to a point of related interest…

Twist

For those who are vaguely familiar with the Shane-Emma-Ed storyline that I’ve shared through this blog over the past few months, you may be interested in the following email that I received at 09:49am today:

Subject: And my news is...

Shane,

I’m sorry if this message seems frantic/stupid and I hope you don’t mind my sending it to you. Ed told me last night that he’s been ‘seeing someone else’ for the past month. He says he met her through work, but he doesn’t know what he wants. My reaction - “What?!” Alex and me stayed over at my Mum’s last night. Ed and me have some talking to do this weekend. Just wanted you to know what was happening.

Might sound strange but I’m really looking at next week’s [FarNorth] trip as a break.

Oh fuck, just remembered that I agreed to go out with Siobhan and her Mum and brother tomorrow night. Don’t suppose you fancy coming along too?

Hope you have a good weekend anyway.

Em


At 10:14, after a moment of pondering, I responded thus:

Subject: Re: And my news is...

Hello.

Don’t mind at all that you’ve let me know what was happening, quite honoured if anything. I can’t imagine that any of you are feeling on top of the world right now. Reminds me of when I heard similar news from Harmony – you know the story.

Unfortunately I’ll not be able to join the Siobhan dining experience – got a meeting re some possible work in [bigger city] early Saturday evening. Will be visiting Scottish Dave in [big city] on Sunday afternoon. If you want to meet up then let me know.

I know what you mean about the [FarNorth] trip.

Will talk soon I’m sure.

Shane

You will note that I chose not to pick Emma up on her I/me grammar – what tact!