SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

h-i-p

On Saturday we went to a wedding, in Middleshire. A church wedding. In a village. About 200 in attendance. Again, exchange of the matrimonials was between friends of Emma who had met whilst at university. Paul and Caitlin. I am 100% confident that they will stay together and be happy together. They're fine people. Solid people. Good people. Planners. Whiter than white. Middle class. Environmentalists. God's planet and all that. And I got to meet several of Emma's longer term circle of friends and it was all very pleasant. When we got to the churchy servicey marriagey bit, it kind of sounded like:

"Let's sing some hymns"

"Blah blah God blah blah church blah blah Jesus blah blah Goddy churchy Jesusy blah blah blah. Marriage blah blah. Sin. Duty. Blah blah. Oh. And love. Commitment. Behave yourselves. Regardless. You're in it for the long game. God's watching. He'll know. We are talking God here! So really do behave yourselves. Any objections? No? Do you? And you? Good. You're married"

"Let's sing some more hymns"

"Now you may go and eat, drink and dance to popular hits from the disco era, but don't forget - God's watching. Have a nice day"

I liked the church. I liked the people. But as much as I tried to open my head and heart I just couldn't get the whole 'him upstairs' aspect of the gig. It left me feeling that the focus wasn't so much on the marrying couple - and the earthly context in which they're living - as I felt that it should have been (NB/ do not begin with any of that 'God is among us, and in the heart of every man' stuff; I know - they called at my house, I bought the magazine). So what do I do with my feelings about the awry foci of the wedding? Well. What I don't do is go round discussing these thoughts with strangers (or even intimates) on Paul and Caitlin's wedding day. But when people make remarks and ask for comments I say gentle things such as:-

"I found the service fascinating - I don't often visit church"
"Made me wonder about how I would choose to get married"
"That God chap sounds like an awfully busy man", and,
"I have decided to write a hymn"

Indeed. If you can't beat them, join them!

Brothers and sisters, I've started scribbling, but it may take a few days. My next post will be the words to my first ever hymn. Really, it will be like an exaggerated poem. Probably won't dictate a tune to go with it, but will insist that is sung with the dignity and respect that all hymns should be sung - I learned this on Saturday. From my observations, I would also say that 'hallelujah' is a key hymn word. But beyond that, I could do with some help: So if you've any suggestions as to words, sentiments or hidden meanings that ought to feature in my hymn-in-progress, then please, do let me know.

It was an amen kind of idea.