SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Trouble-seeking behaviour...

In addition to the gale force winds that are rattling all about town, I think Barton may be ready for a gentle person-centred shake-up.

I am to get beneath the skin of the community. I will devise a cross-dressing out-of-town farmer character who shall seek fashion advice from the local newspaper's agony aunt. Bartonfolk should believe their's to be a quietly diverse community. Will be nice to cause a stir amongst the conservative forces of bumpkinery too.

Also, I have read recently of various local legends around the UK that are of the form "There is a wild (insert wild cat name here) roaming around our countryside". There then follows anecdotes of local postmen, police women, butchers, bakers and handlebar moustaches who have seen said wild cat. "Game" tourists are then assumed to come along in search of wild cat. Professors of Rural Studies get publically-funded grants to investigate such claims, and local newspaper reporters have something to write about. Well, my understanding is that Barton lacks such a legend. At the moment that is. It may be the case that one should be created. Perhaps I could run into the office of the local newspaper and scream "I have seen a lion - out there - in the woods, everyone must hide - hide now, exclamation maaarrrrrrk". One to ponder.

Have also realised that I don't like either the title of this blog - "NT, NL, UT", or indeed the url that I gave it. So I ask myself this: carry on or re-brand? Was also interested by stats and reports earlier on the locations of readers of the blog. It seems that South Africa, the US, Canada, and Narnia have been the locations of most non-UK readers. Well, I say "readers". I should say "skimmers" really. Of course, when I say "skimmer", that does include fast-hand nanosecond web tourists. Anyway, with the wind beneath my sheets, and having made no more sense than this all day, I now bid you a good night.

Good night. Man of my word ;>)