SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Existentialism, and an unlikley cat

At this late hour, Barton is in peaceful repose. This suits my calming mind and easing heartbeat. Earlier, I drove through a flood.

Following yesterday's brief email test, a techy chap from the university called this morning to point out that as of the end of last year I didn't exist. I soon pointed out that I was well aware of myself having existed as recently as last week. He conceded "Oh, research student are y'?", "Yes" replied I. All was sorted.

Made use of one of the smaller of the university's libraries today - found it to be agreeably quiet - not one that I've frequented much. Seemed oddly devoid of students - ah the soft benefits of student drop-out and falling undergraduate enrolments. And still they talk of 50% of 18-30 year olds participating in Higher Education by 2010. Perhaps, just perhaps:

Many a modern university = FE college with a rather uninviting cherry on top.

Was caught in a lightning and snow storm as I left the big city earlier - was so exciting that I popped in to tell chum Catherine "I've just been caught in a lightning and snow storm". "Foolish boy sit down, I need to talk metaphors" said she. Understanding this to be code for "I'm feeling rather saucy and am about to treat you" I sat. We then proceeded to talk metaphors - related to her PhD - for almost an hour. It was cup-of-tea and orange kit-kat saucy - and no regrets.

Have been wondering recently about whether I want to be a father - just thought I'd drop that in here - seemed a reasonable thing to do. Gladly, I feel less hurried on this than number of my similarly-aged female chums have over the last few years. The most odd one was Ruth - one of the lesbian religion. She took me aside and engaged me in a very tender and caring conversation that led to "And basically, I think that if I'm to become a mother, I would like it to be someone like you who would father the child. (Pause). How does that sound to you?". I chose not to blurt out "But dear, I think you're a complete f***-wit, thus, there is not a cat in Hull's chance of me ever going anywhere near your fertilisables". Instead, I heard myself say "Er-, that would probably mean some kind of arrangement that I'd probably not be comfortable with" - just as true, but so much more socially acceptable.

I think there's someone at your door.