SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Supervisory politics & a critical lunch...

It is a wet and windy evening here in Barton, a drunk staggers down the High Street chuntering an old domestic dispute to himself whilst the smell of fish and chips appeals to a dog-walker on the other side of the street. Anyway...

Supervisor sent message late Monday afternoon, asking if I'd be interested in joining a few of the university collective for drinks - all very sweet and part-tempting but alas there's only so much bitching about a workplace from very settled staff that a boy can take. Besides, I had 'glop curry' to cook for the household. Supervisor also asked if former co-supervisor (who joined a different university - not so unusual it seems) had been in touch recently - I confirmed "yes" and said that all were to be kept in the PhD progress loop - there is a politics to supervision - something along the lines of "who owns the student?", "who puts in the supervisory work?" and "who will he listen to?". Then again, where isn't there politics.

On matters PhD-related, I did pull out the chapter 5 material though it's fair to say that it's not yet been gotten into - 'twill accompany me tomorrow as I head north for the familial Dec 25th whatnot. Another PhDist chum, Kay, has 'gifted' me with a 40-page monster for 'gentle feedback', must ensure that I'm feeling well-fed as I begin to scrawl. Was supposed to have seen PhDist chum Nicola this evening for co-troughing of the glop curry but - possibly fortuitously - that became impractical - I suspect she's quite close to handing over her thesis, and as she started a year after I did and as I'm feeling tired today, I think I'd have involuntarily spat in her eye were she to have confirmed this. Bollocks to good sportsmanship!

Familiarity with the town of Barton grows further. Outdoor market today looked a bit desperate. A man in the HSBC made some dodgy joke about laundering Northern Irish bank notes that were lifted in a big Belfast bank robbery earlier in the week - he was changing the NI notes into the English variety. Cashier gave an empty laugh and an awkward look, and no doubts reported the transaction as soon as comedy man left. Plonker.

More flirty emails from Emma, we are to meet for lunch in town on Dec 28th. I will ask about the nature of her relationship with Ed. I suspect they're 'together', but she wants out, but has yet to give voice to this feeling to anyone (including herself). I'll not be dabbling if there's 'someone else'.

Good evening.