SHANE

It began as a blog about completing a thesis, it became a blog about everything but completing a thesis, it ended with a complete thesis.

Monday, December 20, 2004

Not the 'M' word...

Good evening, it is a cold and sleety evening here in Barton.

Unless I'm much mistaken - which I probably am - this should appear as my first 'post' to the blog 'New Town, New Love, Unwritten Thesis' (aka 'The Thesis Chronicles'). If this appears to have worked then "Yah boo and sucks to you former non-blogging self" and "Wello hello newly blogsome fellow". With success, we will see proper substantive posts begin tomorrow or the day after.

As I have alleged in the description of the blog that this is to be related to my ridding the term "unwritten thesis" of the word 'unwritten', I shall begin as I mean to go on. However!... from the off, a promissory note: there will be no use of the word 'motivation' within my postings - that particular 'M'-word rings in my ears as cringe-worthily as any Hollywoodesque nonsense term of the psycho-babblists ever could. Prior to my next post I will have pulled out (from hard-drive, box file or wherever) the draft copy of chapter 5 and given it and feedback on it a proper read-through (prior to amending).

On the Barton front, today I wrote to the editor of the local paper (a weekly paid-for) offering to write a regular column about my alien self adjusting to life here.

On the Emma front (potential love interest), she sent me a huge email today that was apparently work-related (she does research that falls vaguely on my patch), though she deigned to add twice as much prose of generally chatty albeit clever-clever stuff. Whilst these are early exchanges with this character, I have yet to establish some of the more personal details that will figure in how I (get to) view her. Most crucially, what is the nature of her relationship with Ed ("the father of my child" as she briefly referred to him when asked who she lived with - a strangely ambiguous descriptor???).

For now, ta ta.